Tonight we celebrated the Philippines!  We had a wonderful experience over Spring Break last year, when we headed to Virginia to see one of my cousin's get married, and see another cousin's son be baptized.  At the baptism open house, my cousin's boyfriend Greg (who is from the Philippines) introduced us to heaven on earth (aka Lumpia)!  I made a batch last summer and while not as good as Greg's, it left me wanting to try more Filipino food.  Since I try to make things I've never made before during the Olympics, Lumpia was out so I decided to make Pancit. 



I came across this recipe a few years ago, while flipping through one of my magazines.  I clipped the article and it sat in my pile of clipped articles.  I found it a few months ago, found the online version and recycled the clipping.  I knew this would be great for our Olympic cooking challenge.  I was right!  

Verdict:  Delicious!  Easy to make!  Quick to make!  Filling!

Pancit (original recipe from Guideposts)

You will need:
1 lb rice noodles
1 TBSP peanut oil
1 TBSP vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup cabbage,  shredded
½ cup onion, sliced into thin half moons
2 medium-sized celery stalks, shredded
1 lb chicken thighs, deboned, skinned and thinly sliced
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 TBSP oyster sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup water
Leaves from celery stalks 


Begin by cooking the rice noodles according to the instructions on the packet.  Drain and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat peanut and vegetable oils.  Sauté the garlic, carrots, cabbage, onion, celery for about 1 minute.


Add the chicken, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring until the chicken is cooked. 



Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, and water.  Mix well and cook until the water evaporates and the sauce begins to thicken. 

Remove from heat. Serve over noodles, topped with celery leaves.


0 Responses

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!