Tonight was our final Olympic meal for the 2014 Olympics.  I hope you have enjoyed our culinary journey around the World as much was we have.  Hopefully you've seen some kind of food that interests you and inspires you to give it a try!

For our last dinner, we celebrated China with a meal of rice, peas, and Chinese Braised Ribs.  This recipe has been sitting on one of my pinterest boards for a while now.  I was glad to come across it when I was looking for meals from different countries.



The Verdict:  The ribs were good, but had a very strong flavor.  For me, that is a good thing.  For the two youngest kids, it was not.  I would definitely make them again, even though I injured myself in the preperation.  Beware of spitting grease when you are searing the ribs  - getting hit in the eye, tear duct area with hot grease is NOT fun.  Trust me on this one.


Chinese Braised Ribs (original recipe from Eating Out Loud)

You will need:
2 lbs pork spare ribs, separated
2 TBSP canola oil
1/2 cup and 1 TBSP soy sauce
1 1/4 cup white wine
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBSP minced ginger
2 TBSP golden syrup



So apparently you can purchase a cut of ribs called Asian style ribs.  I couldn't find those so I got a regular rack of spare ribs.  We sliced them apart into single ribs.



Heat the oil in your dutch oven.  Add the ribs and brown on all sides.  Beware of spitting grease!!


Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes. Check periodically to make sure their is enough moisture and add a bit of water if it becomes dry (but it shouldn’t).



Remove cover and continue cooking until the liquid is reduced to a thick, sticky glaze.  We never quite accomplished this, as the liquid separated into a glaze and a residual oil.  We just drained off the oil and enjoyed the ribs!
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!