I am really appreciating the cooler weather that we've been experiencing the last few days!  I love summer but it's nice to have a break from the heat.  The kids love to play outside but when the temps are in the 90s or higher, they have to keep cool somehow. 

We've had fun making all sorts of cool snack creations this summer.  I know, I know.  I should have posted about them as we made them.  I tried but time just gets away from me.  Now that my eldest two are in school again, I find that I have a few moments to post about a couple of them. So, if it interests you, file these ideas away for the next blazing hot day.

Frozen Grapes!  According to Boo, these taste like little bursts of cool sugar.  They have been a hit all summer long, both for the kids and for me.  Nothing better than a sweet healthy snack instead of that bowl of ice cream I keep craving at night.

We use our jelly bean Jello mold to freeze the grapes.  You can just put them in a bowl and freeze them that way too, just make sure that the grapes aren't still damp when you put them in or they will get frozen to each other.  Leave them in for a few hours and then enjoy.  They will keep in the freezer for about two weeks.



Here's what the inside of a frozen grape looks like.  Yum!  Easiest frozen snack ever!


Another cool treat is to make fruity ice cubes.  We served these in lemonade, water and, on the rare special occasion, in Sprite!

 To make these, just fill your ice cube tray with water and add some clean, freshly cut fruit.  Here we used strawberries, blueberries, red grapes and green grapes but you could use pineapple or kiwi or whatever you'd like.  Freeze them until solid and enjoy!


Finally, Chip and I have been making orange strawberry slushies since I was pregnant with Boo.  This summer I made some popscicles out of some for the kids.  They've repeatedly asked me for them so they must have been a hit!

To make these, use 1/2 quart of fresh strawberries (or frozen if you must), 1/2 a can of frozen orange juice concentrate, some sugar (to taste - I usually use about 2 TBSP) and a cup of water.  Put them all in the blender and blend.

If you are going to drink it as a slush, add more water to get the consistency you prefer.  I like mine very thick so I sometimes add ice.  If you are making popscicles, just pour it into the mold and freeze.


I hope these concoctions are helpful for you.  They are nice healthy snacks to keep cool in the hot summer sun.
Labels: , , , | edit post
1 Response
  1. Stacia Says:

    I just saw those fruity ice cubes in Family Fun! And I've never frozen a grape ... how intriguing! =>


Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!