Happy Easter to all. 


Since we've been on vacation, we didn't get to dye our eggs early this year and ended up doing it today.  We started out dying our eggs using food coloring and vinegar. 



Here's what they came up with.  Then we tried "Tie dying" the eggs, an idea that I saw floating around the blogosphere last year.  I googled it today and found this Martha Stewart version

To make Tie Dyed eggs, you need:
  • several 100% silk ties or other pieces of silk
  • eggs (fresh, not boiled)
  • scissors
  • rubber bands
  • vinegar (about 3-5 TBSP)
Cut the ties into pieces that you can easily, yet tightly, wrap around the eggs.  Wrap each egg in the tie with the outside of the silk facing the egg.  Use rubber bands to secure the ends of the fabric.  Place eggs in a sauce pan and cover with water. Add the vinegar and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, lower temperature and simmer for 20 minutes. 


Remove from water and allow to cool.  Once completely cool, remove the fabric.  According to some, the silk can be reused depending on the dye quality of the silk.

Here's what we came up with.










Several of the eggs were almost marbleized.  I think next time I need to wrap them more tightly and perhaps use more vinegar (I only used 3 TBSP).  Overall, they have a very interesting look that is totally different from the eggs we normally produce.
Labels: , | edit post
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Funky eggs! I love them. (And did you make the girls' dresses? That blue is gorgeous.)


  2. abbysae Says:

    Stacia, I don't know how to reply through comments, but no, I cannot take credit for the dresses. I found them at Kohls in all 3 sizes and on sale! Can't beat that.


Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!