Originally today was supposed to be Moroccan day but when I reviewed the recipe early this afternoon, I realized that I was supposed to have marinated the meat overnight. So, we skipped a few days ahead on the plan and celebrated Korea day today!

SPICY!!! That was what each of the kids said after the first few bites of dinner tonight. This is not suprising since we prepared Daeji Bulgogi (literally translated pork fire-meat).

This was Ebabe's face as she tried the meat and then quickly spit it out. "Too spicy," she kept repeating as she stuck her tongue out of her mouth to cool it down. Great mom that I am, I had my camera ready :)

If you like spicy food, you will love this! Even if you don't (and believe me when I say that I don't generally like spicy food), Daeji Bulgogi is still really good. My sister-in-law sent me a recipe from Martha Stewart's website. I emailed my friend Kristi, who is the closest I've got to an authentic Korean expert, and asked her what she thought of that recipe. She sent me a link to this more authentic recipe. I'm guessing if you want a milder version of this, you can try the Martha Stewart version!

To make Daeji Bulgogi, you will need:
  • 1 lb thinly sliced pork
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp crushed garlic
  • ½ tbsp crushed ginger root
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp kochujang (red chili pepper paste) - original recipe calls for 2 tbsp!
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (original recipe called for 1 tsp)
  • 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 onion
Combine all the ingredients except pork to make its base marinating sauce. Stir in a large mixing bowl. Add the pork and marinate for 30-60 minutes. Pan-fry and serve with steamed rice.


I had read that you generally serve this wrapped in leaf lettuce or spinach.


Boo tried it that way but couldn't get it to stay wrapped in the lettuce. We did, however, use the lettuce leaves to help relieve some of the fire we felt when we ate the pork!

I think you get the gist of the verdict from my post. If you like spice or torturing your children with spicy-hot foods, then this is the recipe for you! If not, you may want to find a less spicy dish to serve. As you could see, I tried to cut down on the spice but adding less of the red pepper paste and the red pepper flakes. I'm not sure that it worked but you could always skip one of them all together to make it less spicy.
1 Response
  1. Sara Says:

    Looks yummy to me! That is a LOT of red pepper flakes and chili paste. We've made another Martha Stewart recipe a few times that has chicken, onions and red pepper wrapped in Boston lettuce.


Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!