One of my friends from my college days sent me an email not too long ago saying that the crock pot Korean rib recipe I had mentioned at Christmas time looked delicious but wasn't very authentic. She sent me a link to a traditional Korean recipe for ribs in case I wanted to try it. Here goes, although I had to make some changes so it's not quite authentic!

To make Daeji Galbi (traditional Korean pork ribs - follow the link for the original recipe), you need:

4 pounds pork back ribs
1 (1-inch) piece ginger root, peeled & minced
1 large onion (pureed)
4 tablespoons minced garlic
1 cup kochujang - Korean chili pepper paste ( I used 1/2 cup of Hunan Red Chili Sauce as I didn't get to make it over to the Korean grocers)
4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tsp black pepper

Separate the ribs and set aside in a large bowl.
Mix ingredients (except for the meat) in a large mixing bowl.
Stir until mixed well. Gently rub marinade on ribs, cover and refrigerate overnight.
(I divided this recipe in 1/2 and froze one half for a different day)
Grill until meat is well done - about 10 minutes per side.

If you don't enjoy grilling, the original recipe suggests that you bake them in an oven at 350 for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until the meat starts to separate from the bone.
------------
We quite enjoyed the flavor, although there were parts that were quite spicy. We had difficulty knowing if they were done or not as the pork was still pink in places and since it was fatty, it was a bit rubbery. We figured that was a side affect of the reddish marinate. After we cut into them, we decided that they needed to be grilled a bit longer!

Since I froze 1/2 of the meat, we will definitely have this recipe again, although I'm sure we will make it again anyway! It was quite tasty and a nice change from regular BBQ flavor. Kristi was right though, the crock pot recipe did not taste like this. Both are delicious in their own way. Thanks Kristi for suggesting this recipe!
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    You made them! They look really yummy. I actually made mine in the crockpot and that turned out well too, although crockpots aren't used in Korean cooking.

    The other recipe you used before is an authentic Korean recipe, just not for ribs. It is made as a side dish and a lot of the time people add hard-boiled quail eggs in the marinade. My husband makes it every year when we need to use up a bunch of the peppers we grow on our balcony garden.

    Kristi


Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!